Curriculum Vitae Arno Wouters
I have a separate list of publications.
- BSc in Biology, Wageningen Agricultural University, 1980.
- BA in Philosophy, Groningen University, 1983.
- MA in Philosophy, Groningen University, 1988.
- Main subject: analytic philosophy (Else Barth and John North).
- social philosophy (Lolle Nauta),
- methods of investigation and analysis in the social sciences (Frans Stokman).
- Teacher training.
- Thesis: Embryologie van de Samenleving (in Dutch) (supervised by John North, Rob Visser and Else Barth).
- PhD in Philosophy, Utrecht University, 1999. Dissertation on the nature of explanation in functional biology: Explanation Without A Cause (promotores: Ton Derksen and Jan Bergstra).
Areas of specialization: philosophy of action, philosophy of biology.
Areas of competence: philosophy of science, philosophy of mind and action.
Could teach basic and intermediate level courses in logic, analytic philosophy, philosophy of language, and epistemology.
- Teaching assistant zoology, Wageningen Agricultural University, 1977-1980.
- Teaching assistant philosophy, Groningen University, 1987-1988.
- Research assistant philosophy of science, Groningen University, 1989.
- Research assistant philosophy of science, Utrecht University, 1989-1994.
- Several appointments as a lecturer in logic, epistemology, philosophy of language, and philosophy of science at Utrecht University and Nijmegen University, 1995-1997.
- Researcher, Formal Methods Group, Philips Research, Eindhoven, 1998.
- Researcher, Programming research group, Department of Computer Science, University of Amsterdam, 1999.
- Staff member, Embedded Systems Group, Department of Software Engineering, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), 2000.
- Researcher, Philosophy of Science, University of Nijmegen, 1 September 2000 - 31 December 2002.
- Lecturer, Philosophy of the Life Sciences, Leiden University, 1 January 2001 - 31 december 2002.
- Staff member, Centre for Genomics and Society, Radboud University Nijmegen, 1 march 2004 - 31 december 2004.
- Postdoc Neuroscience and Personhood, Heyendaal Instituut, Radboud University Nijmegen, June 2005 - December 2007.
- Several appointments as teacher philosophy of biology, philosophy of mind, and philosophy of action at Utrecht University and Radboud University Nijmegen, 2008.
- Postdoc Philosophy of Action, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 1 January 2009 - 31 December 2012.
- Teacher The Moral Brain, Leiden University, 30 January - 30 July 2017 (0.2 fte).
- Teaching assistant zoology (Agricultural University of Wageningen, 77/78, 78/79, 79/80).
- Teaching assistant Knowledge of the Dutch flora and vegetation (Agricultural University of Wageningen, 78/79, 79/00).
- Game theory, rationality and morality (Groningen University, 86/87).
- Introduction Theoretical Philosophy (Groningen University, philosophy, 87/88).
- Rationality and Relativism (Utrecht University, cultural anthropology, 89/90).
- Introduction Philosophy of Science (Utrecht University, philosophy, 90/91, 91/92, 96/97).
- Introduction Philosophy of Language (Utrecht University, philosophy, artificial intelligence, 94/95; University of Nijmegen, philosophy, 95/96, 96/97).
- Introduction Epistemology (Utrecht University, philosophy, artificial intelligence, 94/95, 95/96, 96/97).
- Elementary Logic (Nijmegen University, philosophy, 95/96).
- Causality and Explanation (Utrecht University, 95/96).
- Introduction to Programming in C (University of Amsterdam, artificial intelligence, 98/99).
- This is how a computer operates (University of Amsterdam, artificial intelligence, 99/00).
- Specifying communicating systems in μCRL (Free University of Amsterdam, computer science, 99/00).
- The explanation of form in biology: history or natural laws?(Leiden University, biology, natural sciences, 00/01, 01/02).
- Hunting for Life (an introduction into philosophy of biology) (Leiden University, biology, 01/02).
- Man as a knowledge acquiring organism. (Leiden University, biopharmaceutical sciences, 01/02).
- Foundations of the Life Sciences (Leiden University, biology, life sciences and technology, natural sciences, 00/01, 01/02. 02/03).
- Philosophy of Biology (Utrecht University, biology, 06/08, 07/08, 08/09).
- Philosophy of Cognition (an introduction into epistemology and philosophy of mind) (Radboud University Nijmegen, philosophy, 07/08).
- Philosophy for Psychologists (Radboud University Nijmegen, psychology, 07/08).
- Personhood and Personal Identity (Radboud University Nijmegen, philosophy, 07/08).
- Philosophy of cognitive science (Utrecht University, philosophy, artificial intelligence, neuropsychology, 08/09).
- The Problem of free will (Erasmus University Rotterdam, philosophy, 09/10).
- Introduction meta-ethics (Erasmus University Rotterdam, philosophy, 09/10, 10/111, 11/12).
- Meta-ethics and moral psychology (Erasmus University Rotterdam, philosophy, philosophy of economics, 11/12).
- The Moral Brain (Leiden University, minor Ethics, Politics and Culture, (16/17).
This page was made by Arno Wouters.
Last Updated: 3 Feb 2017.